Duke's DREAMS Center (Duke Center for Research in Autoimmunity and Multiple Sclerosis) is proposing a new approach to monitor the health of MS patients using mobile technology.
We want to work with you to understand why some people with MS experience different symptoms than others, and why symptoms and side effects can vary over time.
MS Mosaic is a unique iPhone® application that uses a mix of surveys and tasks that use phone sensors or wearable devices in order to collect and track your health and symptoms of MS. The insights gained from this study may help customize symptom management and perhaps eventually influence all MS care. Our goals are:
- To learn about the variations of MS.
- To improve the way we describe, manage and use existing tools to manage MS.
- To learn how mobile devices and sensors can help us measure MS and its progression.
- To ultimately improve the quality of life for people with MS.
Who Is Eligible?
To join this research study on Multiple Sclerosis, you need to:
- Be 18 or older
- Live in the United States
- Be comfortable reading English
You do NOT have to have mulitple sclerosis to participate in this study.
How Does This Study Work?
This study will ask you to:
1. Sign up for an account
2. Answer questions about your health
3. Complete prompted activities like tapping on the screen and walking
4. Provide data
This study is designed for persons over 18 years old with or without multiple sclerosis.
1. Sign up for an account.
To sign up for an account you must first complete a consent process explaining the risks and benefits of the study and also confirm your agreement to participate in the study. Afterward we will ask you to create an account and then verify your email address and other general information.
2. Complete Health Surveys
After completing the consent process, we will ask you to answer questions about yourself, your medical history, and your current health. You may choose to leave any questions you do not wish to answer blank. Additionally, we will ask you daily, weekly and monthlly questions about your symptoms. With these questions as well, you can leave any questions that you do not wish to answer blank.
3. Complete Prompted Activities
In addition to surveys, we will ask you to perform specific tasks while holding or using your mobile phone. For example:
- Walking 25 steps, turning around, then walking 25 steps back while holding your iPhone to assess your gait.
- Tapping on the iPhone screen repeatedly to test your motor speed, coordination, and fatigability.
- Adding a series of numbers on the fly.
- Moving a virtual peg across your phone screen.
- Play a short pattern game to assess your short-term memory.
Registration may take 20 minutes to complete. The daily surveys should take no more than 1 minute to complete, while the weekly surveys should take no more than 10 minutes. The prompted tasks should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. You have the right to refuse to answer particular questions or participate in particular aspects of the study.
We will send notices on your phone asking you to complete these surveys and tasks. You may choose to act at your convenience, either then or later and you may choose to participate in all or only in some parts of the study.
Who Is Running the Study?
MS Mosaic: A Multiple Sclerosis Research Study
Duke University and Duke Neurology
Please see "About the Team" Page